Every now and then (especially this time of year), it becomes harder to keep your health and fitness regimen in check. You still might be shaking off some of that holiday sluggishness and the last thing you want to do after a long day at work in the Winter, is hit the gym or workout when you get home.
This is, however, the most crucial time you should get up and at em. Here are 5 ways to keep your workouts interesting so you don’t fall completely off.
1. Try a new workout plan – It’s not written in stone that you have to stick to the same workout regimen for the rest of your life. When you’re feeling like you need to switch it up from the normal routine, by all means, do so. If you’re a traditional gym rat, try a form of martial arts instead. If you’re a martial artist, try a kettle bell routine.
This will stimulate the mind and muscle. You’re muscles love new activity, so do something that will make your body say “Whoa!”
2. Add a Workout Partner – Sometimes all you need is a little company. If you work out like a lone warrior, that’s great. But there’s nothing like a motivator to keep you going. Bring your spouse or your best friend to the gym with you for an incentive. What better way to spend time with that special someone than doing a fitness activity together.
Or getting a workout group of your closest friends to chat and hang out with while you get into shape.
3. Create a soundtrack for your workout – The Rocky theme is the Rocky theme for a reason. Motivational music can be essential for those times when you just Do Not feel like working out. We are in a beneficial time of technology so take advantage of it. Now you can make a playlist, upload it to your iPod and rock. Music is a great motivator.
Tip: Start your motivational playlist Before you even start your workout. This way you’re already pumped.
4. Make it Competitive – This coincides with #2. Having a workout partner is great to help pass the time, but even more so for a little friendly competition. If you’re on the track, make it interesting with your buddy doing some wind sprints. If you train in a martial art, your friends make the best sparring partners.
If you don’t have anyone who shares a passion for fitness the way you do, you can take up a recreational sport to stay in shape. There are always leagues and clubs to get involved with in any kind of activity to get good spirited competitive physical fitness.
5. Change your surrounding – This is one of my favorites and a rather easy one to do. Sometimes all you need is a little change of scenery to keep your workout interesting. The treadmill is great for a rainy day or during the winter season. But when it’s 70 degrees outside, the sun is shining and the air is clear you need to head out that trail and go for a run (or walk).
Any workout you do indoors is twice as fulfilling outside on a great day.
So how do you keep your workout interesting? Yoga, Pilates, Crossfit, Tai Chi? Please share and leave a comment below.