Timing is indeed EVERYTHING!
I can’t tell you how many blessings and curses I’ve encountered at the hands of good and bad timing. But I’m not gonna bore you with a rundown on my bullshit.
Here are 5 simple time management tips to do Now.
1. Stay Ready So You Don’t Have To Get Ready – I once heard Will Smith say that and it stuck with me. What it means for me is to keep yourself in a state of preparedness for anything that you desire.
So, for example, you have a trip coming up, say to the beach or to see family, and you want to look your best, right?
Usually you might start working out and eating better just to get ready for the big trip.
But what if you just start living as though you Always have a trip coming up?
What do you think it would do for you if you just stayed in the gym and maintained a consistent nutritious eating regimen?
You’d be ready to go on a trip next month….next week…tomorrow!
2. Make An Outline Of Your Tasks/Goals – If you don’t know where you’re going, how will you reach your destination?
Making an outline is what gives you a vision in time management so you know where you are at all times.
And it doesn’t even need to be an outline, per say. It can be a simple to-do list, or a task sheet.
Just get your priorities down on paper (or in your phone). I like to use a white board. It’s truly changing how I govern my time. Sometimes I make my list of to-do’s before I go to bed at night. Other times I do it as soon as I wake up in the morning.
Try both and see what works for you. I can guarantee you will be more confident in your tasks and goals for that day, and even that week depending on how far you want to plan out.
3. Know The Difference In Priorities and Pleasures – Do you? Know the difference I mean?
A priority would be:
- finishing that report for work
- showing up to your kid’s recital
- making your appointment with your dentist
A pleasure would be:
- seeing that movie the night it opens
- going out in a snow storm to get ice cream when you have fruit in the kitchen
- staying up to watch the game when you have an early meeting
See where I’m going with this?
A priority is a necessary task for your advancement and maintenance in life.
A pleasure is a quick fix to make you feel good.
There’s nothing wrong with chasing a pleasure…just don’t sacrifice your goal of time management
4. Manage Your Priorities – Now that you know the difference between a priority and a pleasure, it’s time to set a pecking order for your priorities.
You have a deadline at work, but your car Seriously needs an oil change. Are you gonna forego your deadline so you can beat the rush as Jiffy Lube?
You need to do some much neglected chores around the house, It’s Saturday, but your kid needs quality time. Now you can kill 2 birds with one stone on this one and do chores together (granted he didn’t want to play baseball at the park), or you can forego the chores, spend the much needed time with your kid and use your Sunday to knock those chores out.
It’s your choice, but you see where I’m going here.
5. Manage Your Time Management – While every task is important, all tasks aren’t equal.
Because of this, you should put a time limit on your tasks.
If you’re writing a report, that’s gonna require more quality time than doing yard work (even if you’re a passionate gardener).
If you’re taking care of a sick loved one, that’s going to require more quality time than changing your own oil (even if you’re a passionate DIYer).
At the risk of sounding like a wise ass, time management takes time to manage.
It’s gonna be a process of trial and error. The important thing is to keep at it until you get it. Start with a list of 3 things everyday that you can prioritize, and build from there.
Be easy on yourself but remain diligent.
I want to hear from you! What are some methods that you use for time management? Leave a comment below.